If you Google the phrase “power outage,” you’ll find a bunch of media reports referring to ongoing blackouts in various parts of the country.
Not old media reports about power outages that occurred last year. Or last month or last week or even yesterday.
No, these are ongoing outages. And they occur every single day all over the country. They might be caused by a storm or extreme heat or cold. Or by an automobile accident or a small animal getting into the grid.
Or perhaps by a physical or cyber attack against the electrical grid. Or by just about anything. Over and over and over these outages happen.
Longer outages can be dangerous
Now, most of these power outages last only a few hours. Just long enough to negatively affect your refrigerated and frozen food. But not long enough to cause you serious problems.
But some outages go on for 12 consecutive hours or a full day. Some last several days. Others have been known to linger for weeks.
Those longer blackouts are especially difficult to deal with. In addition to spoiling your food, they can make it extremely hot or cold in your home.
Often they will affect an entire area, causing traffic lights to malfunction. And food deliveries to be slowed down or halted. And make gasoline impossible to pump.
Be one of the smart ones
Despite the high number of power outages that occur on a regular basis in this country, many people still are not sure what to do until the lights come back on.
Some make mistakes during an outage that cause them even more problems than what the blackout is causing.
Today I want to tell you about the most common mistakes that are made during power outages.
That way you can try to avoid them next time your electricity goes out unexpectedly and you’re not sure what t do.
7 mistakes to avoid
Using candles. This is probably one of the worst and most common mistakes made during an outage. Candles cast a nice glow in the home and improve your ability to see in a dark room. But they can be knocked over and quickly set a curtain on fire. And people forget about them when they leave the room or fall asleep, and they become a fire hazard. There are plenty of inexpensive battery-powered LED lights and flashlights you can use instead. Keep one in each room of your home.
Letting your cellphone battery die. Keeping your cellphone fully charged is a good habit to get into because you never know when an outage might occur. Once the blackout hits, use your phone as little as possible, turning it off when you don’t need it. Also, have a back-up power source for your phone.
Opening the refrigerator. During a power outage, there is a temptation to check on your refrigerated and frozen foods to make sure they haven’t spoiled. Don’t do it. Only open your fridge and freezer to quickly grab food to consume or to add ice. Cold air rushes out quickly, so don’t speed up the spoiling process.
Forgetting to unplug appliances. It’s OK to leave a light switch on so that you know when the power returns. But unplug as many other things as you can, especially the big power users. When the power does come back on, it could cause a surge that can damage your electronic devices and appliances.
Letting water pipes freeze. When it gets very cold outside, water inside pipes can expand as it freezes, bursting those pipes. Keep a slow, steady stream of water running from your faucets, especially those near outer walls, until the cold snap ends. If you live in a colder region of the country, make sure your pipes are insulated.
Using a grill indoors. Never do this. Not even in your garage. The same goes with a gas-powered generator. Far too many lives have been lost due to carbon monoxide poisoning after people have used grills and gas-powered generators indoors. While a garage seems like it’s closed off, fumes can seep through to various rooms in the home.
Touching a downed wire. A wire dangling from a pole or lying on the ground may seem “dead,” but it might still be energized. Which means you could receive a serious electrical shock or even get electrocuted. If there is water on the ground, even getting close to a downed wire could be dangerous, so stay at least 30 feet away. And remember, a downed wire you don’t see could be lurking in standing water.
Be Prepared for Your Power to Go Out
One of the best ways to prepare for a power outage is to have a generator on hand.
But if that generator runs on gas, there could be a bigger problem than not having power.
That’s why we recommend using a solar generator instead.
And right now, we are holding an incredible July 4th Sale on our most powerful generator yet. With 28% more storage capacity and 50% more peak power than our original generator.
You’ll be able to run more devices, power bigger appliances and get longer run times on the devices you need most.
You’ll also get $895+ in bonus items – including a “Summer Solar Cookout Pack” with a device so new, you can’t even get it anywhere else yet!
And to help get this into your hands today, I’m also giving you the option of an easy low monthly payment plan.
Hurry though – this special expires at Midnight Pacific Time on Tuesday, July 2 (or when we run out.)