We live in a society that is obsessed with physical appearance. That’s one of the reasons we have so many dieting fads that come and go.
Diet is very important, of course, but not just because eating a significant percentage of fruits and vegetables helps us maintain an appropriate weight. Eating right also helps us keep our minds sharp.
This is essential both now and during a crisis when the decisions we make could be a matter of life or death. What we put in our bodies will influence the choices we make.
In a crisis, we’re going to want our focus, memory and mood to be at optimal levels.
In no particular order, here are nine foods and beverages that will keep you at your physical and mental best at all times. I call them “superfoods.”
- Sweet Potatoes. Sweet potatoes have natural sugar and are a great source of magnesium. Sweet potatoes’ natural sugar means you won’t be getting any blood sugar spikes, which lead to fatigue. Magnesium is known for promoting relaxation and reducing stress.
- Almonds. This nut has huge health benefits such as preventing cognitive decline and sustaining memory. Be sure to keep your house stocked with them and maybe keep a pouch or two in your desk at work.
- Berries. Loaded with fiber, vitamins and phytochemicals, blueberries, strawberries and cranberries contain natural antioxidants that help your body deal with stress. They may also help slow age-related memory loss.
- Fish. One of the greatest things found in certain fish (and fish oil) is omega-3 fatty acids. There’s a healthy dose of them in fish such as salmon. They help preserve brain function and have been linked to positive emotional health.
- Leafy Green Veggies. Vegetables such as collard greens, turnip greens, kale, spinach and broccoli are rich in Vitamin B, which boosts focus and memory. These vegetables are also filled with carotenoids, which protect the brain and boost brain power. They also make for a great base for smoothies.
- Green Tea. This China-based tea is filled with antioxidants. It’s also a good source of natural energy. It’s proven to help with alertness and is associated with an increase in creativity. In a crisis, creative problem solving will be very important.
- Water. Of all the beverages you could drink, this is the one your body needs the most. In fact, you’ll die without it. And with not enough of it, you’ll suffer from dehydration, which can make you crabby and confused. Water helps your mind gain clarity.
- Eggs. Eggs are a great source of Vitamin B, which is a mood booster. Even more, eggs carry Vitamin D, which helps to fight depression. So eggs work on both the defensive and offensive sides to ensure a stable and positive mood.
- Beans. Peas, lentils, beans and other legumes provide plenty of protein while being low in fat. They are also good sources of iron, potassium and phosphorus. A high-fiber diet could help eliminate toxic compounds and carcinogens from our bodies.
Stockpiling food for a crisis is a great idea, but it’s difficult to do with fruits and vegetables. And that’s unfortunate because just when you need it most to perform at your best, produce will be difficult to find. Luckily, there’s a all-natural, great tasting greens drink that you can use everyday, and stockpile in the event of a crisis.
Patriot Power Greens
- Provides 40 fruits and vegetables and 6 digestive enzymes per 20 calorie serving
- Includes 10 probiotic strains per serving to protect your body from harmful bacteria
- Fights chronic inflammation throughout your body
- Improves your skin’s appearance
- Relieves diarrhea, constipation, and bloating
- Promotes a healthy heart, plus, helps to maintain your blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- Boosts your immune system
- Helps to balance your blood sugar levels
- Promotes memory improvement, helps you stay alert, enhances concentration, and boosts your energy levels
- Proven in numerous studies to be more effective than NSAID’s (Non-steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs)
- 100% natural, manufactured right here in the United States
- Free of all major allergens
- Caffeine free