Many of us have saved our survival food for natural disasters, or other events that would otherwise be considered an emergency.
While this is good preparation and thinking, we also encourage everyone to try out our recipes any time to see which you really enjoy (and stock up on!) and which you can mix and match to really make an outstanding meal.
A great example of this is from our friends Cat and Cory- who took their survival meal to the next level, and created the ultimate winter meal.
Cat & Cory’s Homestyle Soup:
- 1 pouch 4Patriots Potato Soup
- 1 pouch freeze-dried green beans
- 1 pouch freeze-dried corn
- 1 pouch freeze-dried broccoli florets
- 1 lb. bacon (or additional freeze-dried proteins)
- Chopped red bell pepper
- Chopped green bell pepper
- Chopped onion
- Spices (black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and seasoned salt) to taste
- Render bacon in soup pot until a combination of crunchy and chewy. It can be cooked fully, but we find that we like the consistency and taste of both.
- Add Potato Soup to the pot in its dry form. Don’t forget to remove the oxygen absorber packet when you do this. Mix well, and allow dry powder to mingle with the bacon fat.
- Add 4 cups water plus 1 1/2 cup water for the soup and the freeze-dried vegetables. Simmer until the soup is fully dissolved, then add the pouches of freeze-dried veggies. Again, please remember to remove the oxygen packets.
- Add spices to taste, and then add the bell peppers and onions. Blend well and bring to a low boil. Turn heat down to medium, simmer for about 10 minutes, then turn heat down to low and allow to simmer another 15 minutes or so. Turn heat off and allow soup to stand for about 5 minutes before serving.
Makes 8 – 12 servings of soup, depending on your appetite.