Nobody likes the thought of suddenly having to leave their house in an emergency. But if it were to happen, only the people who are prepared for it are going to be able to do it without a lot of problems. This is especially true when pets are involved.
Recently we took a look at the items that you should include in a pet bug-out bag. In this blog, I’m going to mention ways that you can be prepared for this situation, as well as how to find pet-friendly hotels in a hurry. Here are some suggestions:
• Make sure that your animals are current with their shots and other medical treatments, and have the paperwork to back that up in your pet bug-out bags. Most animal boarding places require this in order for your animals to stay there.
• Have current ID tags attached to your animals’ collars. Ideally, those tags will include one or more of your cell phone numbers. These could be your pets’ lifelines if they somehow get separated from you in an emergency.
• If your pets do not already have microchips, take care of that as soon as possible. The chip is usually implanted in the shoulder area and can be read by a scanner at most animal shelters.
• Have current photos of your pets that you can show people if one or more of those pets somehow get lost due to the crisis.
• Make sure you have enough pet carriers, leashes, harnesses, etc., on hand, and that they are sturdy and secure.
• Add phone numbers of your vet, animal shelters and hotels/motels that take pets to your list of emergency numbers.
• Have a back-up plan with a trusted friend or neighbor who might be able to get to your pets if you can’t return to your home promptly in an emergency.
If you wind up having to stay in a hotel for one or more nights due to the emergency that forced you to get out of Dodge quickly, you’re going to want to be in a hotel that accepts pets. Many don’t, of course, so find out in advance which ones do in your general area.
Have you ever taken any of your pets to a pet-friendly hotel? If so, what was that experience like? Are there any pet-friendly hotels that you would recommend?