Have you ever gotten that creepy feeling that someone is following you? And no, I don’t mean the government, because they’re always following us in one way or another. Whether it’s with cameras on the streets or eyes on our emails or ears on our phone calls, they’re always there.
But no, I mean another person following you as you walk.
Now, it’s very possible that when we feel that way it’s because we’re experiencing a little paranoia. Maybe a few bad things have happened lately or we’ve gotten some bad news recently or we’re not feeling 100 percent physically. Whatever it might be… those types of things could add up feeling ill at ease and imagining something like being followed.
Or, perhaps someone really is following you because they are seeking some kind of revenge. Or maybe they have picked you out randomly or they see you as an easy mark for whatever ill intent they have. Regardless, your number one goal at this point should be to make sure they don’t confront you, especially if you are alone.
Following are seven tactics you can use to try to determine if someone is really following you and to avoid being confronted by them, if they are.
- Stop, turn around and head in the exact opposite direction. That way you’ll see your follower’s face and can observe whether he turns around too.
- Approach a group of people. Tell them your concern and ask if you can walk with them for a bit until you determine whether you’re being followed.
- Grab your mace. If you have some kind of self-defense spray in your purse or pocket, put your hand on it so that you’re ready to use it in a hurry.
- Request assistance. If you’re leaving a restaurant or other business, ask an employee to walk you to your car.
- Act confident. Even if you’re trembling on the inside, give off an aura of confidence. Muggers prey on those who appear helpless.
- Start running. If someone really is following you, they’re going to start running, too, and then you will know to seek help immediately.
- Call 911. If you are alone and you believe that someone is closing in on you with bad intent, use your cellphone to call 911 and give them your location.
Have you ever been in a situation where you felt you were being followed? What did you do… and did it work? Our readers would love to know.
Like what you read? There’s more where that came from. See how your stockpile stacks up… Click here!