There are a couple of different philosophies regarding how to handle a home intruder. One is shoot to kill, no questions asked. The thought here is that if an uninvited person is in my home at 2 a.m., I have to assume that he is there to rob me at the very least and very possibly to abduct, rape or kill my family members. Therefore, this person has already forfeited his rights to a fair beat down, and I’m not going to waste my sympathy on a home intruder who is killed in the act.
The other philosophy is, I don’t want to kill anyone, even a burglar. If I use lethal force, there’s no undoing it. If I find out later that the person was mentally handicapped and had no idea where he was or what he was doing, I can’t bring him back to life again. Same for an unarmed teenager who was badly influenced by his peers. And if, God forbid, one of my bullets misses the mark, passes through a wall and hits my wife or one of my kids, I could never forgive myself.
Probably the best reason to use live ammo rather than non-lethal ammo is because you might end up further infuriating an intruder rather than incapacitating him. But if you live with family members and aren’t too crazy about bullets penetrating walls and interior doors, non-lethal ammo may be the best option for you. If that’s what you decide to go with, here are five possibilities for you:
- Rubber bullets – Won’t penetrate the skin, but will leave nasty welts that will require medical attention.
- Wax bullets – These could penetrate the skin at close range or if they strike a sensitive body part.
- Plastic bullets – Used by police for riot control. Also used for target practice.
- Electric bullets – Metal or rubber bullets that release an electrical charge when they hit a target, much like a Taser or other shock weapon.
- Bean Bag Rounds – Designed to incapacitate the target and leave large welts but not penetrate the skin.
What kind of experience do you have with non-lethal bullets? Have they been effective at incapacitating a target or have they only made the situation worse? Would you even consider using non-lethal bullets against a home invader? Would love to hear from you on this subject.